lately i can’t help but notice the number of cars with those oval white stickers circling a clever abbreviation for some location. i’ve always wondered what drives people to buy these and they seem to be especially common in nc. raleigh in particular has a high percentage of drivers displaying the oval ‘OBX’. in case you are immune to this or unaware its an abbreviation for ‘Outer Banks’ (even though there is no X in outer banks).
why do people display this sticker? is it to show the next driver that you enjoy the outer banks? well, who doesn’t like the outer banks? how could anyone not enjoy the beauty of these island treasures? this week i saw a particularly large version of the sticker that nearly spanned the entire width of the rear window of a dodge intrepid. i wonder if his motivation was to tell the world that he liked the outer banks more than the next guy b/c he sports a bigger sticker.
this week i’m going to purchase an OBX sticker and carefully mark a red bar across it (similar to the negative nascar stickers ‘no #23′). of course i love OBX but i’m curious to see if i’ll be rammed by an outer banks loving soccer mom in a chevy tahoe.
did i ever let you in on the seriousness of my southern roots? maybe i should just so that you don’t tease me ’bout the south too much.
- my english folks came over on a boat around 1700
- alex spent some time fight’n the nasty redcoats
- alex found that the PA soil wasn’t so kind to growing tobacco so he walked on down to NC
- alex’s grandson william henry spencer joined the confederate army with his cousin (22nd regiment * ’stokes boys’)
- william henry spencer fought all the way to gettysburg and was taken prisoner
- william henry later walked home and built a fine house in sandy ridge just a short walk from alex’s place
- all my life i hear about the importance of understanding “the war”
- my grandpa was named willy after his rebel great-grandfather
- age 19 i took a likin’ to it all
- been a civil war addict ever since
don’t mess with dixie
yeah, i saw the movie cast away but i still can’t fully accept the notion of fed ex overnight. someone sent me an overnight from CA at 3:00 PM EST yesterday. at 8:58 AM EST i’m awakened to the sound of someone banging on my door. there was the fed ex man just about to leave b/c he is in a hurry, b/c he has 30 other packages he has to deliver with mind blowing speed.
i haven’t had the pleasure of merita’s sweet sixteen donuts for several years. i let out a hell yeah when i saw them in the grocery store this week (now if i can only find some chilly willys).
the top of the bag says “NOW MORE DONUTS!”. sounds great. but they’ve accomplished fitting more donuts into the original size bag simply by making the donuts smaller. no kidding. its been several years since i’ve had the pleasure but i’m no fool merita.
well eric and i hung out with neel a couple of nights ago. old age is treating him good. the hyperman has lost about a whole 5% of his hyperelasticity.